THE BIG EASY
September. 2016
New Orleans was hot and humid in
September when I attended the Great Escape Publishing’s Travel Writers
Workshop. It proved to be an intense weekend learning the ropes of travel
writing. During the exhausting weekend of seminars, presentations and cocktail
parties, I met some incredibly talented people who shared their insights,
secrets and wisdom of the world of travel writing. It was a treat to learn from
published authors who were willing to give all the newbie’s a roadmap to
getting that first byline.
While education was the
centerpiece of the three days, it was New Orleans that was to be experienced.
It is also one of the great food Mecca’s of the South and it did not
disappoint.
We began the weekend seminar with
a meet and greet at the Bourbon House Restaurant where I was to make some new
friends who would become good friends by the end of the weekend. We shared food
and drinks and even some signature Oysters.
For the Friday seminar lunch
break, I made reservations at Antoine’s Restaurant, which has been a staple in
New Orleans since 1840. I was accompanied by another classmate and we had a
great time sharing our travel experiences and what we wanted to accomplish with
the writing course. Our lunch provided us the opportunity to use our newfound
strategies. The food and service at Antoine’s is exceptional. From our white
clothed table to having the check presented, this is first class all the
way. Our three course lunch, for
unbelievable price of $20.16, consisted of Charbroiled Oysters, Louisiana Drum
with spinach and Bread Pudding. To accompany our meal were (perhaps more than
one) Arnold Palmer Martini for 10 cents. The food was beautifully presented and
satisfied our taste for above par Creole cooking.
Friday evening, we headed to Pat
O’Brien’s for their signature drink, the Hurricane. The music on the twin
pianos was rocking in the Piano lounge. It was a late night but we had good
fun, singing along with the band.
Saturday morning class began
early and in the afternoon, we hit the streets to find a story to write in the
afternoon session. My two newfound friends, Pam and Nan and I decided to head
out together to find our stories. We
discovered a store named Quorek, where all the items are made from cork.
Clothes, purses, shoes and all manner of other items you can name adorned the
shelves. There was also a store mascot was a cute dog who we outfitted for
pictures. We found our story and some
interesting buys to take home. We strolled along the riverfront for a little
taste of the New Orleans.
Heading back to the hotel for
class we stopped for a quick lunch at Nawlins Cookery for a Shrimp PoBoy and an
adult beverage. We made it back to class and wrote our stories. That evening we
decided to make have a sit down meal and found our way to Mr. B’s Bistro where
we enjoyed anther delicious meal and wine. The service was terrific and we
nearly closed the place.
Sunday was another busy day of
talks, headshots and making new friends. That evening we explored Bourbon
Street and went back to Pat O’Brien’s for dinner this time. That evening I
tasted some of the best Shrimp Creole I have had and we all enjoyed trading
stories with new friends.
Monday morning I said farewell to
new friends and mentors and headed back to my desk job. During my two-hour
drive home, I knew I had found my next career and some great people that would
help me get there in good fashion.







No comments:
Post a Comment